Posted on | July 8, 2014 | Comments Off
I knit and knit and knit. After I started my third skein of yarn, I noticed that it was considerably darker than the first two. I kept going, thinking that I could live with it. But in the back of my mind, the color change was nibbling away. While I knit the sleeves, I decided to over dye the bottom of the sweater in the same sage green to make a darker color. While it was wet, the colors did match. However, as the sweater dyed I could tell that the colors were closer but still the change was noticeable. I set it aside and knit the first sleeve and started the second. The second sleeve was not the same gauge. I couldn’t understand why. I changed needle size to no avail. I also noticed that the sweater was about 6 inches too large. It wrapped around my body and the pattern includes a button band which would have made it 8 inches too big. I was frustrated. I set it aside in a bag. Still thinking…could I live with it, could I dye it again?
No I could not…I ripped it all out. I also changed the color by overdyeing the sage green with a peacock blue. I separated out the lighter and darker skeins and added differing amounts of dye in hopes of evening out the colors. But it didn’t work as well as I thought it would. So…
I decided to switch skeins throughout the knitting. And I decided to knit the sleeves 2-at-a-time on one needle. The sleeves turned out well. I will say that one should not knit 2 at a time with 2 skeins using the inside and the outside of the ball. I ended up with some terrible snarls. It works much better to make 4 balls which can be sorted out when the tangles get too bad.
Now on to the body of the sweater. I am determined to finish this sweater by the first weekend of October for the Montpelier Fall Fiber Festival. I believe this is doable. My friend Ellen’s advice for completing knitting projects is to do a little EVERY DAY! That is my intent. Some everyday.keep looking »